January 31, 2009

Take Me Home ... Please


My friend and fellow blogger Kameron Kiggins, of I May Have Been Born Yesterday But I Stayed Up All Night, lost his best girlfriend Claire on Wednesday January 28, 2009. Claire, who was about 16 years old, was a pet dog belonging to Kameron's brother and his brother's wife. I know what he's going through right now, having endured the death of a few pets in my ... well, let's just say many years living in this world. Being the sentimental (mostly mental) person I am, I know it can take some time to get over such a heartbreaking loss of a dear family member.

As I suggested to Kameron, eventually it may be a good idea to get another pet. Since I have a soft spot for animals, I'm including some resources that could be helpful to anyone who would like to acquire a pet or help those that have been rescued. These groups also provide information on how to give animals a better home than the current owner might be able to. Don't forget, many of these organizations get monetary donations from advertisers each time you visit their web sites. So you can often help without spending your own money.


Wikipedia's Animal Shelters page discusses the different types of shelters available.

ASPCA: American Society For The Prevention Of Cruelty To Animals
I found their book very helpful in deciding the right breed of dog to get.

AKC: American Kennel Club
Use this organization to find a reputable breeder.

The Humane Society Of The United States
Heavily involved in fighting cruelty via legal action.

PGAA's Rescue Contacts - National
Huge number of adoption and rescue organizations across the US.

Pedigree - Really Good Food For Dogs.
Visit this site! After the intro, you'll see a golden retriever that looks just like my Sydney. She loves their honestly nutritious food. Syd even has this site in her internet favorites list. They donate food to shelter dogs each time you watch one of their videos!



Pedigree 2009 Super Bowl Adoption Drive Ad.



Sarah McLachlan ASPCA Ad - Brings tears to my eyes everytime.
The song used is McLachlan's "Angel".
Sarah turned 41 on Wednesday January 28, 2009.
Yeah, the same day Claire died.

2 comments:

Kameron said...

Nice post, Dan.

I'd really like to get a dog, but it won't be happening for a few years. Until I'm out of school, it's probably going to be apartment living. And I don't think big dogs do well in apartments; they need more space.

Thanks for the kind words, though.

Dan, Jr. said...

Several years past between personally burying my last dog and getting the dog I have now. I always knew I'd have another, but had to get divorced before making the move.

I prefer a large breed as well. They tend to be more calm than the smaller ones. So I can understand holding out until you have the space.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...