May 19, 2010

In Remembrance Of Ronnie James Dio


Ronnie James Dio, one of the most extraordinary singers, songwriters and entertainers of all time, passed away early Sunday morning - May 16, 2010. He was a brave and determined man, but stomach cancer won the battle anyway.

Forgive me for not posting something sooner, but besides being busy with the ever crumbling world that is my personal life, I have spent much of the free time that I do have grieving over the loss of Ronnie.

Not too long after Sunrise on Sunday morning, I signed off the internet. The last thing I had read was that Ronnie James Dio was still alive, and that reports of his death were merely rumors. The first thing I saw when I got back on the internet on Monday, was confirmation that he did pass away. It was just a little later on, while I was taking my dog for a short walk.

He had lived a lot and given a lot during his time on this Earth, but 67 years isn't all that old, and I know he had a lot more to give. The force that was Ronnie James Dio lives on in the people who loved and respected him. His influence can be heard in many a rock singer's vocal style.

I'm sure fans new and old are pulling out their Elf, Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Dio and Heaven & Hell records, CD's and DVD's, emersing themselves as I have done, and playing RJD recordings over and over again.

It's been a while, but I had the pleasure of going to five or so Black Sabbath and Dio concerts with Ronnie as lead singer. They were all good and satisfying times. Memories I shall cherish until my own demise. Thank you, Ronnie!

In remembrance of Ronnie James Dio, I've chosen to include a few videos of him singing what I know was one of his favorite songs to sing. From the very first Rainbow album, Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow (1975), I offer "Catch The Rainbow". I just can't seem to get enough of this tune right now, and I don't feel like picking only one video. Each of the following includes different pictures and live action. My favorite is the last one, apparently a small intimate show, where Ronnie is obviously very happy. It's not the whole (long version of the) song and recorded somewhat poorly from one side of the small stage, but I love watching him enjoying life. I wish he could be doing so right now.


Service announcements from the official website:

Public Memorial Service For Ronnie James Dio
5/19/2010 2:21:32 PM

There will be a Public Memorial Service for Ronnie James Dio on Sunday, May 30th at 2:00 PM at The Hall Of Liberty located at Forest Lawn Hollywood Hills, 6300 Forest Lawn Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90068.

This will be a celebration of the life and music of Ronnie James Dio and is open to all of his friends and fans from around the world.

For those of you that will be flying in from out of town or out of the country, we have made special rates at various local hotels available to you! Just go to our official Facebook Page for hotel information!

Official Ronnie James Dio Facebook Fan Page

The Ronnie James Dio "Stand Up And Shout Cancer Fund
5/19/2010 11:59:40 AM

Wendy Dio has requested in lieu of sending flowers, please make a donation to the Ronnie James Dio "STAND UP AND SHOUT CANCER FUND". Please send your donations to the Niji Entertainment Group, 12400 Ventura Blvd. #624, Studio City, CA 91604 USA. From all of us at Niji Entertainment Group, we thank you! For those that want to use Paypal, a link will be set up at RonnieJamesDio.com .


For the long version by Rainbow, live in Munich, Germany in 1977:
Part 1 (10:35) here, and then Part 2 (7:47) here
- Oberhoffer posted May 18, 2010.



Original Rainbow audio with pics, vids - akrug79 posted May 18, 2010



Original Rainbow audio w/ pictures - BJB333333 posted May 17, 2010



Dio at Sofia, Bulgaria in 1998 - angelpriest posted May 04, 2008



Dio at Gothenburg, Sweden 1997 - japiedio posted Nov. 21, 2008

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...